Memphis Light, Gas & Water responded to MLK50: Justice Through Journalism’s living wage survey — a day after the survey was published.

The utility reported that 98.66 percent of its 2,744 employees make $15 an hour or more, and that the remaining 1.34 percent make between $10.75 and $14.99 an hour.

MLGW employees are eligible for health insurance. The company uses temporary workers and outsources some work. MLGW’s response did not address whether the utility supports increasing the minimum wage to $15 an hour.

This story is brought to you by MLK50: Justice Through Journalism, a nonprofit reporting project on economic justice in Memphis. Support independent journalism by making a tax-deductible donation today. MLK50 is also supported by the Center for Community Change and the Surdna Foundation.